Log in

Anybody in the US know if it's possible to have an official "other… - Go Ask Aidan. Or Kat. [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Good and not-so-good advice about gender.

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

[Jan. 20th, 2010|06:59 pm]
Good and not-so-good advice about gender.


Anybody in the US know if it's possible to have an official "other name"/"also known as" without changing your legal name?

[User Picture]From: tgjerusalem
2010-01-21 01:42 am (UTC)
How do you mean 'official'?

I know you used to be able to get your credit cards and bank cards in a preferred name, even if it wasn't your legal name. Not sure if it's still true, but worth checking out if you want some semi-official ID in your name.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: 1_2_suckerpunch
2010-01-21 02:03 am (UTC)
That would be great. I just recieved my first check from my new job, and they've addressed it to my preferred name instead of my legal name. So, I mean...yay, but am I going to be able to cash it? o_O
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: tgjerusalem
2010-01-21 02:37 am (UTC)
hrm... that could be difficult. do you have anything even semi-official in your preferred name? A school ID or something?
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: 1_2_suckerpunch
2010-01-21 02:38 am (UTC)
Lots of mail addressed to that person at my address, but nothing really official. I suppose if it comes down to it I can use the SS# as proof, or ask the company to re-issue the check.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: kengr
2010-01-21 09:10 am (UTC)
Just endorse the check with that name, then endorse it with your legal name under that. That'll do until you can do something else.

I never got around to registering a dba (doing business as) with the state. Since I have some stuff online under my girl name, I can legitimately claim it as a pen name. And then having the bank issue "her" a card would be merely a matter of showing them the state paperwork.

I can get a card from Paypal with even less... but that won't help with deposits.

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: tgjerusalem
2010-01-21 02:40 am (UTC)
Don't know if you'll be able to do it for this check, but go to the bank and ask to register a preferred name with them. Explain that's the name you work under and use professionally.

Don't just take the check right to them and do this, or they may think you're trying some really clumsy identity theft. Go to the bank first, get the name all worked out with them, then start bringing the checks.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: sebastian_bound
2010-01-21 05:29 am (UTC)
sign the check as whoever it's made out to put "Pay to the order of" underneath it and then sign your legal name.

that's what is called "signing a check over to" someone. if you have the same last name, it'll look like it's from your brother.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: moonspark
2010-01-21 02:27 am (UTC)
I got my credit cards et al in my initials. And I just used my initials everywhere for years. I also kept my initials after I changed my name though.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: mercurychaos
2010-01-21 01:49 am (UTC)
There's something called "doing business as" which is for operating a business under a name other than your legal one. The only other thing I can think of is that if you're openly using a name other than your legal one, then you may have to list that name on some forms (job applications, court petitions, etc.)
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: tinamou
2010-01-21 04:36 pm (UTC)
Some states allow you to register DBA name as a sort of officially recognized nickname, usually with a 1 page form and a small fee. I don't think you have to show that it is actually a name you use for business (although I guess you are, if your paycheck is made out to your chosen name). A while back I googled 'Doing business as name' or somesuch and found a list of states that allow it, and some info on how to register if you live in a state that allows it. Mine didn't, so I didn't pursue it further, but it's worth a try.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: pookies_revenge
2010-01-21 06:53 am (UTC)
Depending on what bank you use, signing over a check might not be a wise idea. I've tried that with bank of America once or twice and both branches told me the person who the check originally was written out to has to be present otherwise they will assume I am trying to commit fraud and treat me accordingly. However, depositing via ATM did not incur that wrath, though I would not suggest trying it on a regular basis. BoA has historically been extremely unhelpful in the area of using preferred names, so I would offer either review your bank's rules very carefully or find one that is willing to work with you- before you try to deposit anything.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: gender_euphoric
2010-01-21 02:21 pm (UTC)
You might want to try asking over at poor_skills. You wouldn't necessarily have to out yourself as trans there...people use different names for a lot of reasons.
(Reply) (Thread)